Sunday, November 13, 2011

Does anyone have some recipe ideas using fresh ginseng for a dish?

My sister-in-law gave us a few packages of ginseng. I've already made a stewed chicken dish with cloud fungus, red dates, and dried mandarin orange peel, little soy sauce which I told was a Korean-type dish. But that's the only recipe I know and I have the rest of the root I started plus a bunch more packages left.|||You can try some of these:


--Duck pot au Feu with Roasted with Ginseng Root


--Chinese Ginseng Soup


(I provided the links to the recipes below)





I also think that you could probably cut thin slices of it, and saute it with some thinly sliced steak, teriyaki sauce, garlic and green onion!|||Well, I guess, to start, I'll just say that Ginseng is more of a medicinal herb when it comes to cooking. As far as I can remember, Ginseng is used mostly in Chinese medicinal tonics and soups. Chicken soup with ginseng is probably the most popular, as Chinese and Koreans do have recipes for this. The only other time I've had ginseng outside of a soup was in a dessert-ish/medicinal bird's nest soup.





In Indonesia, there is this duck meat and rice noodle dish similar to pho, but the broth is a duck broth flavored with ginseng root.





I would stick with a Korean chicken soup/tonic with ginseng, as this is probably the tastiest variation of what I've had before.|||You can basically use it to stew or braise meat with Asian ingredients ie. don't pop it in a beef stew with tomato paste :) Or use it in a light Chinese style soup, with steamed dishes, shavings in stir-frys or salads. You can also make ginseng tea by steeping a few slices in hot tea. The slight bitter %26amp; medicinal taste makes it a bit limited in cooking unless you're used to the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment